Tips for Taking Proper Care of the Furniture
The beauty and elegance of your house depend on the furniture you choose to fill it with. Without the furniture, a house is just an empty building. It becomes your home when you furnish it and put your individual touch to the building.
If you have furniture in your house then it is important that you know how to take care of it. To maintain the beauty of the furniture for a long time then it requires proper care and maintenance. The furniture is going to last a long time if you take good care of it.
Here are some useful tips for taking care of the furniture.
Protection of the furniture:
If you want to make sure that the furniture is safe and protected then practice these things.
- Never place the furniture in direct sunlight because it will cause the furniture to fade quickly and look old and worn out. If you want to maintain the beautiful and original color of the wood then place it wisely.
- The furniture must also be kept away extreme temperature changes. Keep them away from heat radiators, air conditioners, and air vents. They can cause cracks on the surface of the furniture.
- Avoid placing things on the furniture which are made up of plastic or rubber. They often have ingredients which are not good for the wood. While placing such things on the furniture make sure that you use pads to offer protection. Just like you use duvet and pillow protectors for bedding, the bedding also needs protection pads. They provide protection against plastic objects as well as hot dishes, flower pots, beverages, and vases.
- To keep the furniture clean it is important to rotate accessories placed on the furniture so they do not leave a mark.
- If there are any spills, clean them up without any delay so they do not leave any permanent mark. Make use of blotting action to clean then instead of wiping them. Never use things like after-shave, alcohol or medication to get rid of spills as they can cause severe damage to wood.
- Never drag objects on the surface of the furniture. Always lift them up because dragging can leave scratch marks on the furniture. To avoid scratch marks always use protective padding while writing with a ballpoint.
Polishing and cleaning the furniture:
- While cleaning the furniture it is important that you are highly careful. Dusting is something that should regularly and frequently. While dusting makes sure that use a soft cloth. Never use a rough cloth. The cloth should dry and free of any lint.
- The proper way of cleaning the surface is to rub in the direction of the grain.
- You should polish the furniture after every six months so that it looks new and well-kept. You can polish the furniture by taking soft, dry and lint-free cloth. Remember to polish in the direction of the grain to achieve best results. Make sure that the cloth you are using is clean.
- If you have furniture that has a high-gloss finish then you have to take special care while cleaning if you do not want the smudges to become permanent. You should do the dusting more frequently as well. Use a soft cloth and apply minimum pressure while dusting.
A variety of furniture cleaning products:
There is a variety of cleaning products available in the market when it comes to cleaning the furniture. The type of cleaning product you choose depends on the type of furniture that you have.
- You can remove stains from glass furniture by using a mixture of three parts vinegar and one part ammonia. Let it stay for thirty minutes to overnight, depending on nature of stain and wash off with soap and water.
- For wooden furniture use the furniture polish that is not made by using silicone because it is harmful to wood.
- With leather furniture, you can remove stains with mild detergents or soaps. You can clean it daily by wiping it with a clean cloth.